Whilst I was a student, many decades ago know, I had a wonderful teacher who encouraged me to do my routine differently…for a day. He encouraged me to do this in an effort to not only use both sides of my body but in an attempt to stop taking what I do for granted and appreciate the body I have chosen to live in. So I set about doing a few things he suggested of which I quickly come to realize how automatic my life was, striving to be the most efficient I could be quick to get things down without thought or pause.
And seeing the Vital Moms ezine is about “Firsts” I decided to create a challenge were the “lethal switched off routine” of our daily life could be broken, if only momentarily. You can make this a family thing to do if you have kids and if you have grandchildren make it a game and step aside to see what happens. If you own a business and have team members incorporate this into your work place culture for a month of fun!
I have listed for you 38 things we automatically do and I’ve either asked you to do the opposite or make a note of what you do. Only choose 30 or 31 of the things because the challenge only goes for a month. They are all things you possibly take for granted, don’t think about any more and or unconsciously strive to complete in the most efficient way as you rush out the door to get somewhere. Simply select a thing to do each day for 30 or 31 days and do it differently. Choose only one a day because the point is for you to attune to your body and note what you take for granted. For example perhaps it’s a “routine” that now takes longer than expected or eating is now slower (not a bad thing!), tying the shoelaces is more challenging or drying yourself after a shower now takes on a whole new meaning! Not only will this create immense frustration within you as you attempt to go about your daily “routine” less efficiently however it too will be fun and stimulating.
It’s time to appreciate and celebrate how weird, wonderful and wacky life is when we stop and attempt to do our daily “lethal routine” differently!
Here are 38 items for you to work through in no particular order. This is by no means an exhaustive list. If you have some wonderful creative additions to this list please share them on our Vital Moms FaceBook page to let us all know.
Above all enjoy and have FUN with it!
Choose one “thing” to do differently per day order cialis for 30 days:
- Brush your teeth with the other hand
- Uncross your legs when sitting
- Wash the dishes starting from the other side
- Fall asleep facing the other way
- Note how you automatically dry yourself a certain way after a shower and do it a different way!
- Brush your hair with the other hand
- Switch your mouse around to the other side (now that will challenge a few I am sure)
- Scroll your phone or mobile device (e.g. iPad) with the other hand and finger
- Sleep on the other side of the bed
- Change seats at the dinner table (if you are really routine orientated!)
- Sweep the floor with broom in the other hand
- Empty the dishwasher from the other side
- Set the table as a left hander would eat or if left handed as a right hander would eat
- Eat as a left hander if you are right handed and vice versa
- Write a shopping list with your right hand if you are left handed and left hand if you are right handed
- Pluck your eyebrows with your other hand
- Put your organic make up on (if you wear it) with the other hand
- Rule a line with the other hand going the other way
- Blow dry your hair with the other hand/arm
- Drive the kids to school via a different route
- This is for the kids… skate board with the opposite foot forward
- Hammer a nail with the other hand
- Unlock your front door with the other hand
- Kick the ball with the other foot
- Throw a ball with the other arm
- Hug on the opposite side (left side to left side and heart to heart!)
- Lather with soap with the opposite hand
- Step with a different leg first when putting clothes on in the morning
- Mix contents in a bowl with the opposite hand
- Stir a pot with the opposite hand
- Eat chocolate with the opposite hand
- Paint a picture with the opposite hand
- Use calculator with the opposite hand
- This is another one for the kids… surf with the opposite foot forward
- Do your belt up the opposite way
- Use a spoon in other hand
- Drink out of a glass with other hand
- Pour from a jug with other hand
GOOD TO SHARE? You’re welcome to reprint this article when it is properly attributed to Sarah Farrant with a link to www.VitalMoms.com
It must include the following: Sarah Farrant has become the ‘tell it like it is’, no fluff, mentor to moms. She is dedicated to helping individuals and families step away from the treatment merry-go-round by giving them a new way to approach their own health and the health of their children. Today she supports, mentors, and educates thousands of parents globally