Prep time: 20mins (longer if making broth from scratch!)
Cook time: 45mins
Total time: 1 hour 30mins
- 4-5 heads of garlic (45-50 cloves)
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- 2 organic onions
- 4 tablespoons organic butter
- 1 quart of chicken broth (homemade)
- 3-4 teaspoons of fresh or dried organic herbs e.g. thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, sage etc
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoons ground organic black pepper
- 1 fresh organic lemon (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Cut the heads of garlic in half across the cloves but do not peel them.
- Pour the olive oil into an oven safe dish and place the garlic head halves cut side down on the dish. Cover with an oven safe lid or foil.
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until garlic cloves are fragrant and starting to brown. Remove from oven and peel garlic.
- While garlic is roasting, melt butter in a large saucepan and add sliced onions. Saute over medium heat, stirring constantly until onions are translucent and golden. Add fresh/dried herbs, salt and pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- When garlic is done roasting, add peeled garlic to the onion mixture in the saucepan.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add coconut milk.
- Using a high powered blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth or add to your Thermomix and blend on speed 6 for 10-15 seconds.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs and a lemon wedge over each bowl.
For those of you who are serious about ‘keeping your distance’ from friends or family and cleaning out your insides you can do the following alternative.
Split garlic into three equal portions and do the following with each:
Roast garlic as per recipe above and add to broth, simmer and then blend
Add peeled fresh garlic to broth, simmer and then blend
Add peeled fresh garlic straight into blender with simmered portions 1 and 2 and then blend.
WARNING: This version is known to create lots of gas and reactions in your bowel. My husband recommends having it on a Friday night if not going out and make sure you have a day or two at home on the Saturday and Sunday. Do not ask friends around, family are okay to visit!
GOOD TO SHARE? You’re welcome to reprint this article when it is properly attributed to Dr Sarah Farrant with a link to www.vitalmoms.com
It must include the following: Dr Sarah Farrant is the ‘tell it like it is’, no fluff, mentor to moms. She is dedicated to helping individuals and families step away from the treatment merry-go-round by giving them a new way to approach their own health and the health of their children. Today she supports, mentors, and educates thousands of parents globally.
Good to share? You are welcome to share and reprint this article only when appropriate authorship is given to Dr Sarah Farrant founder www.VitalMoms.com